Senior Covenant Lawyer
The world's largest asset class, debt, operates with the worst data.
Technology has revolutionized equity markets with electronic trading, quant algos and instantaneous news. However, in debt capital markets, the picture is completely different. It still behaves like it’s in the 1980s; trillions of dollars of trades are placed over the phone, news is slow, and corporate credit information is imperfect and scattered.
Our mission is to change this.
9fin's proprietary technology delivers fast and comprehensive financial, credit, legal & ESG analysis. Our clients are able to make faster, more informed decisions, win more business and most importantly, save time.
Our fast growing list of clients include 9 of the top 10 Investment Banks, leading Asset Managers, Hedge Funds and Law Firms.
9fin is looking for a Senior Leveraged Finance / High Yield Capital Markets Lawyer to help develop our offering of leveraged loan and high yield bond covenant research and analytics in the US. The role will report into our New York office with flexibility to work from home / remotely as needed.
This role offers a unique opportunity for an experienced leveraged finance lawyer to use their expertise within a rapidly growing start-up environment, with much greater work-life balance than can be found in a typical law firm environment.
- Reviewing leveraged finance and high yield documentation to produce commercially focused and insightful analysis on primary transactions
- Writing topical reports on secondary situations, collaborating closely across 9fin’s team of senior lawyers and credit / distressed analysts
- Writing thematic reports to explain covenant trends and innovations to our subscribers
- Answering client questions about the covenant packages of specific borrowers and issuers
- Using 9fin’s proprietary technology to build and expand our covenant databases
- Working with the 9fin’s engineering and product teams to develop new legal and covenant product features
- Delivering seminars, teach-ins and podcast segments as a subject matter expert in leveraged finance covenants
- Representing 9fin in the press and at industry conferences and events
- JD with 5+ years of experience within a high yield capital markets or leveraged finance team at a top-tier law firm
- Experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating high yield bond and/or leveraged loan documentation
- Keen commercial awareness of leveraged finance markets and capital structures
- Strong technical understanding of how leveraged finance covenants and definitions operate
- Solid existing network of relationships within the leveraged finance community
- Excellent networking and relationship building skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, able to explain complex covenant concepts to non-lawyers concisely
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Expected salary range: $200,000 - $250,000 + Equity options
- Holidays: 25 days per year (plus local public holidays)
- Learning & development budget: We're focused on your career progression and personal development!
- Flexibility for you to work from home / remote when needed
- Team events and outings
- Health insurance
9fin is an equal opportunities employer
Don’t meet every single requirement? At 9fin we are dedicated to building and promoting a fair and inclusive workplace where everyone can flourish, reach their full potential and truly belong. We recognise diverse teams allow a more creative and productive environment. So, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t perfectly align with the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might just be who we’re looking for – for this role, or perhaps another.