Reporter, Distressed Debt
9fin is looking for a reporter (or senior reporter) to cover the US distressed debt market.
If you’re a scoop-hungry journalist, with a deep book of sources and a track record of reporting market-moving news on distressed debt, we want to work with you!
Debt is the world's largest asset class, and it operates with the worst technology: trillions of dollars of trades are placed over the phone, news is slow, and information is scattered.
Our mission is to change this. 9fin's proprietary technology delivers fast and comprehensive news, data, and analysis on all aspects of corporate debt, from company financials through to credit analysis, legal documentation and ESG.
We enable our clients to make faster and better-informed decisions, helping them win more business and save time. Our fast-growing list of clients include 9 of the top 10 investment banks, as well as leading asset managers, hedge funds and law firms.
What you'll work on
Every day is different, but here’s an example of the kind of things you’ll work on:
- Breaking news — You’ll regularly break stories on what’s going on in distressed debt, from deteriorating company earnings all the way through to messy out-of-court restructurings
- Feature-writing — You’ll know when to pull the trigger on longer-form articles that connect the dots between daily news and broader market trends
- Generating ideas — You’ll provide a consistent stream of new ideas, whether that’s identifying new situations to cover, or thinking up new ways to cover them
- Monitoring markets — You’ll learn to harness our technology to identify new opportunities, ensuring that 9fin’s coverage of the distressed market is timely and comprehensive
This role will be a great fit if you are:
- Experienced — 3+ years reporting on distressed debt markets
- Personable — Inquisitive and outgoing, always making new connections and sharing ideas
- Organized — Able to maintain a deep network of sources, stay on top of story pipeline and deadlines
- Communicative — Clear and concise in your written and verbal language, and able to explain complex ideas in simple terms
- Judicious — Committed to providing detailed and accurate information, and able to strike the right balance between urgency and perfection
- Driven — Endlessly curious, self-motivated, and passionate about doing a good job
We’re a scaling start up, and we enjoy sharing our success. When the company succeeds, we always reinvest that in our people; we also offer responsibility, and accelerated career development opportunities for those who truly excel.
- $100,000 - $150,000+ (this is a wide range; where you land will depend on seniority and experience)
- Equity options
- 401(k) (company pays 3%, employee contributions are uncapped)
- Private health insurance, with dental and vision; optional Health Savings Account
- Paid sick leave
- Disability insurance (New York)
- Commuter benefit
- 25 vacation days per year, plus public holidays
- Hybrid working model — you’re free to work wherever you work best
- Paid sabbatical — 1 month after 5 years of employment
- Enhanced parental leave and flexible working arrangements available
Training and culture
- Professional learning and development budget
- Quarterly team socials, bi-annual company events
9fin is an equal opportunities employer
At 9fin we are dedicated to building and promoting a fair and inclusive workplace where everyone can reach their full potential and truly belong. We recognize that building diverse teams enables a more creative and productive environment.
If you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t perfectly align with the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might just be who we’re looking for — either for this role, or perhaps another.