Backend Engineering Manager
The world's largest asset class, debt, operates with the worst data.
Technology has revolutionized equity markets with electronic trading, quant algos and instantaneous news. However, in debt capital markets, the picture is completely different. It still behaves like it’s in the 1980s; trillions of dollars of trades are placed over the phone, news is slow, and corporate credit information is imperfect and scattered.
Our mission is to change this.
9fin's proprietary technology delivers fast and comprehensive financial, credit, legal & ESG analysis. Our clients are able to make faster, more informed decisions, win more business and most importantly, save time.
Our fast growing list of clients include 9 of the top 10 Investment Banks, leading Asset Managers, Hedge Funds and Law Firms.
This is an opportunity to join an already highly productive team and take it to the next level. By shaping the ways of working from the outset and bringing in your own experience for us to learn from. It’s a team effort, not only working with the Head of Engineering but people and talent teams to design the organisation, hire and nurture its growth. Our engineering and product design team is made up of dedicated, talented and highly capable individuals. Who all bring positivity, kindness and energy to what they do.
What you'll work on
Every day is different, but here's an example of the kind of things you'll work on:
- Leading, Hiring and Growing diverse and talented technical teams with oversight on important aspects such as team size, team composition, team priorities, ways of working, collaboration with each other and externally with clients
- Ensuring teams are set up for success in their ability to maintain the high product velocity at 9fin. We want to keep this sustainable and healthy for everyone as we scale
- Line management, coaching and mentoring of your direct reports through regular 1-1s, goal setting and productive feedback
- Working with the people team to design and implement hiring strategies that attract top talent and lead initiatives to help promote the 9fin employer brand
Our Backend Stack
- Python is the dominant backend language used
- Flask & FastAPI
- Typing is used within our Python stack to power automated documentation and API definitions
- Relational Databases (PostgreSQL) at the heart of majority of services
- We’re AWS for Cloud hosted services
- Heavy use of AWS lambda Serverless
- Docker (AWS ECS) for uniform development/deployment from dev to prod
This role will be a great fit if you:
- Have a solid foundation in a core vertical: Software Development, System Architecture, Cloud Engineering or any combination through past experience or prior to transitioning to management
- Experience in leading the successful delivery of multiple projects coordinating across multiple teams/functions
- Experience managing performance of teams and individuals
- A high personal bar for quality, and the ability to impart those high standards onto others
- Comfortable working with a high degree of autonomy and technical complexity
- Enjoy speaking directly with real customers to understand their product needs and to positively showcase your teams’ work.
We’re a scaling start up and we enjoy sharing our success, when the company succeeds, we always reinvest that in our people. We also offer huge amounts of responsibility, an abundance of opportunity for growth and a platform to truly excel.
Financial & Insurance
- Competitive Salary(our salary bands are benchmarked at the top end of the market)
- Equity options
- Pension (your minimum contributions are 4% with 9fin matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Paid sick leave with Income Protection for long periods of illness
- Group Life Assurance
- Season Ticket Loan & Cycle to Work schemes
- 25 holiday days per year
- Local public holidays (with the ability to exchange them for alternative days)
- Hybrid working model, to allow you the flexibility to decide how, where and when you do your best work
- Work abroad for up to 3 months a year
- 1 month paid sabbatical after 5 years of service
- Enhanced parental leave & flexible working arrangements available
Training & Culture
- Professional learning and development budget
- Quarterly team socials
- Summer and Winter company social events
9fin is an equal opportunities employer
Don’t meet every single requirement? At 9fin we are dedicated to building and promoting a fair and inclusive workplace where everyone can flourish, reach their full potential and truly belong. We recognise diverse teams allow a more creative and productive environment. So, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t perfectly align with the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might just be who we’re looking for - for this role, or perhaps another.