Software Developer II
We’re Charlie and we exist to Make Work Better. We believe the best way to do this is by building a tool that democratises great HR for small businesses.
We’re looking for a Software Developer to join our product development team – and help us build great software for small businesses.
Come on and join us to make work better!
What is a "Software Developer II"?
We have a career progression framework that includes Individual Contributor (IC) and People Manager (PM) tracks. IC1 is a junior developer, IC4 is a senior developer, and IC levels 2 and 3 cover that middle area that is usually just called “developer”.
In this role you will:
As a Charlie product developer you’ll be responsible for:
- Build and improve CharlieHR, a modern monolithic Ruby on Rails application
- Use our design system to ship functional and beautiful features
- Be part of a cross-functional team with other developers, designers and product managers
- Work with developers of all experience levels, with lots of opportunities to learn and teach
- Feed into product and business decisions
You must have:
- Professional experience with Ruby
- A good understanding of web application development
- Experience writing automated tests for your work
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Self-awareness and humility – you know that honest feedback is how you grow, and you’re not afraid to ask for help
Let us know if you have: (all of these are desirable, but none are required)
- Professional experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with pair programming
- Knowledge of relational databases and SQL (we use PostgreSQL)
- Worked in cross-functional way with product managers and designers
We will still consider applications even if you don't meet every single one of the above requirements, so don't be put off if you don't match them absolutely perfectly!
This is a permanent full-time role. We cannot offer visa sponsorship and you must be able to work in the UK.
The Way We Work
How we're crafting ownership, belonging and structured flexibility:
- A team of 38 that genuinely enjoy spending time together, with regular in-person and remote events to foster connection
- 9 day fortnights — our adjusted work week. We have every other Friday off work and have a meeting-free Wednesday on the five-day weeks to give time for deep work
- Hybrid-first approach; we optimise for office and remote working to be valued equally, and to be equally valuable
- Live anywhere in the UK; we have 6 set days per year that we require the team to be together in our London office, but you have the flexibility to live anywhere in the UK
- 90 bookable "nomad working" days outside of the UK in any timezone each year
- No fixed working hours; you take ownership over how you get your work done
- An amazing office space in East London's pet-friendly Second Home, and membership access to their wider London, Lisbon and LA locations.
- “Exploration days” when you can work on whatever across the company
- We have review cycles 3x a year using our transparent career progression framework, and dedicated personal development time
You can find out more about the way we work at Charlie by checking out our Handbook here
- A benchmarked salary from £48,000 to £52,000 based on your level within our progression framework
- £750 yearly Work Your Way budget
- £300 yearly nomad working budget
- £30 monthly wellbeing budget
- Private Health Insurance through Vitality
- 25 days annual leave + public holidays + 2 additional days off over Christmas
- 4 bookable “Personal days” per year for when you can’t bring your full self to work
- A sabbatical of up to one month paid at 50% of salary, for every 3.5 years worked at Charlie.
- Enhanced Equal Parental Leave policy
Equal Opportunities Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team.
We welcome all applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please let us know if you require anything which would enable your success throughout our interview process.