Software Developer II (6-month FTC)
We’re Charlie and we exist to Make Work Better. We believe the best way to do this is by building a tool that democratises great HR for small businesses. We’re looking for a Software Developer, on a 6-month FTC, to join our product development team to help us build great HR software for small business. Come and join us to Make Work Better!
What is an "Software Developer II"?We have a career progression framework at Charlie. Level One is a junior developer, Level Four is a senior developer, and Levels Two and Three cover that middle area that is usually just called “developer”.
As a Charlie product developer you’ll be responsible for:
In this role you will:
- Building and improving CharlieHR, a modern monolithic Ruby on Rails application
- Being part of a cross-functional team with other developers, designers and product managers
- Working with developers of all experience levels, with lots of opportunities to learn and teach
- Feeding into product and business decisions
- Delivering business impact at the heart of everything you do
You must have:
- Professional experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- A good understanding of web application development
- Experience writing automated tests for your work
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Let us know if you have: (all of these are desirable, but none are required)
- Experience with pair programming
- Knowledge of relational databases and SQL (we use PostgreSQL)
- Worked in cross-functional way with product managers and designers
- Experience making changes to a monolithic legacy platform
We will still consider applications even if you don't meet every single one of the above requirements, so don't be put off if you don't match them absolutely perfectly!
This is a fixed term full-time role. We cannot offer visa sponsorship and you must be able to work in the UK.
The Way We Work
How we're crafting ownership, belonging and structured flexibility:
- A team of 42 that genuinely enjoy spending time together, with regular in-person and remote events to foster connection
- 9 day fortnights; our adjusted work week. We have every other Friday off work and have a meeting-free Wednesday on the five-day weeks to give time for deep work
- Hybrid-first approach; we optimise for office and remote working to be valued equally, and to be equally valuable
- Live anywhere in the UK; we have 6 set days per year that we require the team to be together in our London office, but you have the flexibility to live anywhere in the UK
- 90 bookable "nomad working" days outside of the UK in any timezone every year
- No fixed working hours; you take ownership over how you get your work done
- An amazing office space in East London's pet-friendly Second Home, and membership access to their wider London and LA locations.
- “Exploration days” when you can work on whatever you want across the company
- Bi-annual review cycles using our transparent career progression framework, and dedicated personal development time
You can find out more about the way we work at Charlie by checking out our Handbook here
A benchmarked salary from £48,000 to £52,000 based on your level within our progression framework
- £750 yearly Work Your Way budget (to put toward things like travel to London for company events, getting your home office setup and your L&D)
- £300 yearly nomad working budget (£200 of this can be used toward cost of living each year)
- £30 monthly wellbeing budget
- Private Health Insurance through Vitality
- 25 days annual leave + public holidays + 2 additional days off over Christmas
- 4 bookable “Personal days” per year for when you can’t bring your full self to work
- A sabbatical of up to one month paid at 50% of salary, for every 3.5 years worked at Charlie.
- Enhanced Equal Parental Leave policy
Equal Opportunities Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team.
We welcome all applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, gender, disability, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please let us know if you require anything which would enable your success throughout our interview process.