Principal .NET Backend Developer (d/f/m)
Cape Town, South Africa
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
We are looking for a Principal .NET Backend Developer (d/f/m) to join doctorly on our mission to enable people to live healthier lives.
This is a great opportunity for a highly experienced Software Engineer to take a prominent role within our architecture team to support our cross functional teams and help us meaningfully change how healthcare works.
You'll contribute directly to the development of a sophisticated cross platform application that blends native and web technologies. Your focus and responsibilities will lie mostly in leading by example to enable our teams to develop great backend solutions. This includes
- working actively with Software Architects and Product Owners
- actively mentoring and coaching other developers
- producing great quality code with a strong focus on performance, maintainability and testability
As an integral member of our team, you'll be familiar with agile ways of working and DevOps. You're an experienced engineer and understand the fundamentals of DDD, CQRS, clean code, design principles and common tools around development, testing, and CI/CD including Git, Docker, etc.
Your ability to improve and change the way we work is part of our culture. We're an international team, so fluent English is a must, German would be a bonus but is not essential to the role.
Our vision is to enable everyone to live a healthier life!
The doctorly values are Kindness, Excellence, Ownership and Integrity - we live these every day.
Amidst and as a result of the global pandemic, the world is coming to see just how outdated our health IT infrastructure really is. Have a closer look at the software your doctor currently uses and you’ll understand why this is a burning topic in need of innovation.
doctorly - backed by the best early stage investors in Europe - takes a holistic view of the market and our products, with a firm focus on enabling genuinely meaningful disruption at the very heart of how healthcare works.
Our first goal - reducing the administrative overhead for German doctors and enabling integration within German healthcare by providing doctors with modern, easy to use and highly optimised software to manage their entire practice.
Beyond that we'll be building apps for patients and healthcare professionals as well as an open platform to enable integration across the entire healthcare industry.
Your responsibility will be to take ownership of backend development, this includes:
- Leading by example by building excellent highly usable, secure, performant, maintainable/extendable, well tested and technically awesome software
- Mentoring, coaching and supporting other developers
- Ensuring an adherence to standards and guidelines around architecture, code quality, performance etc. as well as actively contributing to keep these guidelines up to date
- Truly understanding the requirements, the domain and the big picture and helping others to do the same
- Taking a lead in Code Reviews and providing constructive feedback in a timely manner
- Working closely with our product owners and UX/UI-Designers as well as other developers, DevOps, QA in our cross functional teams
- Planning, estimating and reviewing tasks and code with the team
- Being an active team member who takes ownership and contributes actively
- Working to continually improve our application, code quality and especially processes and tooling needed for development
At this stage we're only accepting applicants in or near the timezones SAST (South Africa) and CET (Berlin).
- Experience mentoring and coaching other developers
- Expert level experience with fundamental backend technologies - C#, .NET framework (Core), ASP.NET as well as the related tooling
- Significant experience with Entity Framework (especially EF-Core) and understanding of relational databases
- Very comfortable using Git in a team environment and practical experience with Merge Requests, Branches, resolving conflicts etc.
- Significant experience working in a Cross Functional Team, including working with QA and POs as well as code reviews and pair programming
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- If you've worked in a regulated industry esp. healthcare this will be a plus
- Familiar with design patterns and architectural concepts like API first, SOLID and Domain Driven Design (DDD), CQRS and REST
- Experience with automated testing (IO, regression, unit, integration, load, etc) and passionate about Test or Behaviour Driven Development (TDD/BDD)
- Knowledge of FHIR & HL7 is advantageous
- Deeper understanding of databases (esp. PostgreSQL)
- Familiarity with CI/CD tooling (esp. GitLab)
- An understanding of frontend fundamentals and how these relate to the backend
Offer and Process
We offer flexible working hours, remote/hybrid/office as you prefer and strive to pay great rates suitable for your amazing skills and outstanding experience. Of course we offer all of the usual perks (great gear, awesome colleagues, etc.) as part of our standard package along with great annual leave, healthcare and pension plans. We also offer all employees an excellent virtual options package and a team culture that is second to none.
Our recruiting process typically follows the following form
- Introduction Call - what is doctorly, our vision, who are you, why do we match ~ 30 min.
- Formal/Technical Interview - a chance for you (and us) to ask all the necessary questions ~ 1 hr
- Assessment Task/Workshop - the content and length depend a lot on the role and seniority ~2-4 hours
- References check - we talk to two of your references for about 15 minutes each
- Cultural Interview/Meet the team - a chance for you to really get to know your teammates before you start ~1,5 hrs
- Contract walkthrough, here we take you through the employment agreement and shares contracts so that you really understand both ~1,5 hrs
The entire process should take less than 2 weeks to complete (depending on your availability). We’re flexible and adaptable to your needs and those of the role in this process.