Chief People Officer
Hi, we’re Griffin! We’re the bank for companies who want to build and launch financial products.
We're rapidly heading towards a future where most of us access financial services through technology companies rather than high street banks. All sorts of companies are now embedding financial products into their apps and user journeys so that their customers can seamlessly make payments, manage expenses, take out loans, save, invest, and do more.
The problem is that companies are still dependent on legacy banking infrastructure if they want to offer regulated financial products. They need to either partner directly with an (slow-moving, risk-averse) incumbent bank and/or stitch together middleware from various Banking as a Service (BaaS) providers. This process is slow, expensive, and complex and makes it very hard for companies to get new financial products off the ground.
At Griffin, we want to change this.
We want to make it easy for companies to bring finance to their customers at the point of greatest relevance. So, we built a bank.
But not just any bank! Griffin is a technology platform and a bank: fully regulated, API-first, developer-centric, and purpose-built to serve innovative fintechs and brands who want to build and embed financial products.
Our culture is our most important asset, and one of the ways we safeguard it is by being extremely intentional about hiring the right people. We won't hire people who don’t seem like a strong fit for our core values, even if they're otherwise extremely qualified.
We also believe that smart, motivated, conscientious people thrive in high-trust, high-autonomy environments. That’s why we’re transparent by default, and we encourage open discussion and challenge across all levels of the organisation. We’re also remote-first, asynchronous, and fully flexible - because you're the expert on how and when you do your best work.
The People team
The People & Talent team is on a mission to build, support and nurture engaged and effective teams. We have some strong foundations in place, particularly around culture and talent.
As Chief People Officer, you’ll lead and grow the team over time. We’re currently a ~70 person company, and we’re expecting to double over the next 9 months or so. Your direct team will be made up of five, 2 on the people side and 3 in talent, but you should anticipate the team growing by another 2-3 people in the next 6 months.
You will be part of our executive leadership team, our CEO (David) will be your manager, and you’ll work closely with the Chair of our Board People and Governance Committee (Naomi).
What will you be doing here?
As CPO, you’ll be responsible for:
- developing and iterating every part of our employees’ journey at Griffin
- embedding equitability, inclusion, culture and sustainability throughout the people lifecycle
- overseeing and supporting the recruiting team, especially with forecasting, planning, strategy and budgeting
- leading on building a modern, inclusive, effective working environment (primarily online but also offline!)
- building and scale the processes, structures and resources that managers and individuals need to flourish in their roles
This includes everything from onboarding to exit interviews, and compensation to training.
Who are you
We’d love to hear from you if:
- you’ve been the most senior People leader in a growing B2B organisation;
- you’re accustomed to working with technology teams and you enjoy using automation to simplify processes;
- you have a bias to action and take an iterative approach to your work;
- you thrive on feedback and love to collaborate with your peers;
- you aren’t afraid of having difficult conversations when they’re needed;
- you are comfortable prioritising and managing the trade-offs between making people happy and helping the business prosper;
- you enjoy building strong, productive relationships with leaders and coworkers across the company;
- you’re particularly keen on embedding learning and growth in organisations.
We’re hybrid-remote, and most of your colleagues will not share an office with you on a day-to-day basis. This means you should also have:
- a high degree of comfort adopting new software tools for document drafting, collaboration and communication.
- a love of writing - we have a major amount of written documentation that you will be contributing to, and we place a high degree of importance on clarity and readability (you can find out more here about how we write )
- experience with a distributed workforce, including outside the UK
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future.
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave with up to 6 months at full pay
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by Vitality and AIG respectively)
How do I apply?
Are we your next move? Apply via the link below, if there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail.
N.B: We have a small London office in Moorgate, and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based within occasional commuting distance of London, the other half is full-time remote.
Our goal is for Griffin to proportionally represent the diversity of the working population in society. We’re working to ensure that Griffin is a supportive, empowering and inclusive environment for every member of our team — whatever your combination of race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, neurodiversity, and religious beliefs. If you’re part of a group that is under-represented in fintech, we’d love to hear from you
Griffin Bank Ltd request that recruitment agencies do not speculatively submit CVs to any employee or associate of our company unless explicitly asked to do so by a member of our Talent team.
Any CVs sent to any member of our team on a speculative basis will not be recognised and we will not accept liability for any fee or commission should we subsequently employ a candidate who applied to us directly or was introduced by an instructed agency that may also have been submitted speculatively by an uninstructed agency.