Finance is only relevant in context. People don't take out a loan in order to take out a loan; they take out a loan to refurbish a home, expand their business to a new location, or otherwise achieve a goal that happens to require a substantial amount of money.
Technology is increasingly enabling companies to embed finance at the point where it is most relevant and contextual. This is a trend that is well under way, and we're heading towards a future where people and firms get most of their financial services and products from technology companies and other non-bank firms, rather than high street banks.
The problem is that bringing a financial product to market is still incredibly hard.
Griffin exists to help make it easy for companies to offer financial products. We've just been authorised (with restrictions) to become a bank, so that we can provide accounts, payments and loans to our customers.
We are highly intentional about our culture, and look to define it both by who we are (core values) and by how we work (core behaviours). We won't hire people who aren't a good fit for our culture, even if they're otherwise qualified.
We're looking for thoughtful people who don't give up easily and who strive to be kind in their words and actions. As product designers, we are always looking for ways to simplify complex things and we take security very seriously. As a financial institution, we believe that our customers' trust is our single most valuable asset and we will go above and beyond to earn and keep it. We are transparent by default.
You can learn more about our culture and values on our website.
The Finance team
We’re growing and building out our regulatory team within the Finance Guild. We’re looking for a practical, collaborative person to support our board, board committees and Executives.
Like most of Griffin, the Finance team is in its infancy. If successful, you'll be reporting to the CFO and working directly with the Chair of the Board. You will have a real and meaningful impact, as we lay the foundations of the future of global financial infrastructure. Our vision is that we will build a Finance team to be a central part of the business, somewhere the Board can rely on to support strategic planning. The team will be thought leaders in relation to all finance, regulatory, planning and strategic matters.
This is an opportunity to help maintain and enhance governance from an early stage, building on existing systems and processes. You will also work closely with the Compliance and People Guilds to ensure we are fully compliant and efficient in our governance and management of related activities and documentation.
Who are you
Experience we think you will need to succeed in this role:
- You love all things governance and are a fully qualified company secretary or working towards full qualification or another appropriate legal / accounting qualification
- Relevant experience in a company secretarial or governance role in a regulated financial services environment
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the UK banking sector, its regulatory framework and its governance obligations
- Demonstrable experience using technology to drive effectiveness and efficiency in an organisation / your own work
- Demonstrable experience developing complex organisation-wide projects and procedures from initiation to delivery, as well as capturing valuable insights to improve how it is done
- Demonstrable experience delivering a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience operating as part of a small team/in a fast paced/early stage/innovative environment
- Experience working remotely or part of a distributed team (not a requirement but nice to have)
Qualities we think you will need to succeed in this role:
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels. You love doing great things with great people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to articulate complex ideas, concepts, and solutions simply
- Pragmatism and action-orientation - you know how to deliver exceptional work within time constraints
- A proactive, flexible and collaborative approach, with the ability to work independently
- A growth mindset - you are passionate about personal development, and are obsessed with the latest developments and best practices in governance, compliance and related technologies
- Ambition - you are drawn to opportunities to learn, and are focused on delivering impact and value
- A deep passion for culture and strongly held beliefs on what sort of company you want to work for
What will you be doing here?
As Company Secretary, you will be responsible for developing efficient administrative procedures, and powering our ability to meet financial, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide comprehensive company secretarial, governance and administrative support and guidance for the Board and its Committees
- Ensure the Board and its committees function effectively and in accordance with their terms of reference and best practice, including
- Build effective working relationships with all board members, offering impartial advice as needed ensuring the Board and Executive team are informed of new legislation, best practice and emerging trends and how it applies to them.
- Board Development: on behalf of the chairman/assist the chairman
- Support the Board and Board Committees in meeting their regulatory requirements
- Working with the Chair, proactively consider any improvements or initiatives that could strengthen the governance of the company
- Proactively working to continuously improve our corporate governance framework to promote and sustain best in class governance and scalable process and best use of technology
- Provide Investor support to the CEO, taking ownership of related administration tasks and related shareholders/investor communication/requests.
- Ensure all required formal documentation is captured and filed with the regulators in line with our requirements working with Compliance, Finance and People leads as required.
- Act as a guardians of the company’s compliance with legislative requirements and best practice, ensuring how we do things is best in class
- Maintaining the company’s registered office
- Draft and oversee completion of governance materials
- Coach management to understand the expectations of, and value brought by the Board as we continue to scale
- Working with the Finance team to ensure annual reports and accounts are filed with Companies House in line with regulations
- Looking after essential legal documents.
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave with up to 6 months at full pay
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by Vitality and AIG respectively)
How do I apply?
Please include a cover letter, a resume and a link to your online portfolio where appropriate. We cannot review applications without these. If there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail
N.B: We have a small London office in Moorgate, and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based within occasional commuting distance of London, the other half is full-time remote.
If you’re part of a group that is under-represented or marginalised in fintech, we’d love to hear from you. Our goal is for Griffin to proportionally represent the diversity of the working population in society. We’re working to ensure that Griffin is a supportive, empowering and inclusive environment for every member of our team — whatever your intersection of identities & background.