Hi, we’re Griffin! We’re the bank for companies who want to build and launch financial products.
We're rapidly heading towards a future where most of us access financial services through technology companies rather than high street banks. All sorts of companies are now embedding financial products into their apps and user journeys so that their customers can seamlessly make payments, manage expenses, take out loans, save, invest, and do more.
The problem is that companies are still dependent on legacy banking infrastructure if they want to offer regulated financial products. They need to either partner directly with an (slow-moving, risk-averse) incumbent bank and/or stitch together middleware from various Banking as a Service (BaaS) providers. This process is slow, expensive, and complex and makes it very hard for companies to get new financial products off the ground.
At Griffin, we want to change this.
We want to make it easy for companies to bring finance to their customers at the point of greatest relevance. So, we built a bank.
But not just any bank! Griffin is a technology platform and a bank: fully regulated, API-first, developer-centric, and purpose-built to serve innovative fintechs and brands who want to build and embed financial products.
Our culture is our most important asset, and one of the ways we safeguard it is by being extremely intentional about hiring the right people. We won't hire people who don’t seem like a strong fit for our core values, even if they're otherwise extremely qualified.
We also believe that smart, motivated, conscientious people thrive in high-trust, high-autonomy environments. That’s why we’re transparent by default, and we encourage open discussion and challenge across all levels of the organisation. We’re also remote-first, asynchronous, and fully flexible - because you're the expert on how and when you do your best work.
The Engineering Team:
We have grown quickly within the last year to our current team size of 23 which is made up of the CTO, VP of Engineering, Engineering Manager and 20 engineers split across backend, infrastructure and fullstack specialisations.
Rather than "move fast and break things", we aim to move thoughtfully and to make few mistakes. We are an output-driven environment that operates with extreme autonomy; people are free to keep their own hours and we don't micro-manage each other.
Our backend stack is Clojure, FoundationDB, Kubernetes and AWS
Our frontend stack is CLJS, Reframe, Reagent, React, Styled Components, Styled System and Storybook.
Who are you?
The ideal candidate for this job will have most of the following
- Experience with Kubernetes
- 4+ yrs experience with infrastructure as code
- Strong understanding of IP networking
- Experience with AWS
- A desire to work with small teams in fast-paced start-up environments.
- Experience in Clojure or another functional language - Haskell, Elixir, Erlang
Operational experience with Distributed systems (such as Kafka), Datomic, Docker preferred, but not required
What will you be doing here?
As an Infrastructure Engineer, you'll be responsible for building, operating and monitoring our production infrastructure. We are planning on becoming a bank that will handle thousands of transactions per second. Correctness, performance, and reliability are paramount.
We are a Clojure shop, and use it in places where other teams might use shell scripting or YAML. This is a programming job, with a focus on infrastructure and tooling. Up to 50% time spent on application development is possible.
The kinds of things you'll work on include:
- Writing infrastructure-as-code to configure our AWS environments in a standard and repeatable way
- Working on underlying aspects of the platform to develop our performance, scalability, and oberservability/monitoring
- Writing internal tools to make monitoring, logging, alerting and debugging easier and faster
- Writing code to take consistent backups our entire system, and then verify the backup is correct
- Writing Clojure to verify our systems are correct after power / network etc. failures
- Writing chatbots to automate common ops runbooks
- Improving our Continuous Deployment pipeline
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future.
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave with up to 6 months at full pay
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by Vitality and AIG respectively)
How do I apply?
Are we your next move? Apply via the link below, if there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail.
N.B: We have a small London office in Moorgate, and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based within occasional commuting distance of London, the other half is full-time remote.
Our goal is for Griffin to proportionally represent the diversity of the working population in society. We’re working to ensure that Griffin is a supportive, empowering and inclusive environment for every member of our team — whatever your combination of race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, neurodiversity, and religious beliefs. If you’re part of a group that is under-represented in fintech, we’d love to hear from you