Lead Software Engineer
Lead Software Engineer
MarcoPolo Learning is an award-winning developer of early childhood content and technology for schools and homes. Our product for schools, MarcoPolo for Educators, brings classrooms to life using our proprietary solution that elevates classroom quality by providing professional development, award-winning classroom content, and technology for schools and homes. MarcoPolo also offers an award-winning consumer learning solution, MarcoPolo World School, available through app stores. MarcoPolo Learning is home to the STEM-focused animated TV series, THE POLOS, which reaches over 100 million households across the world.
With offices in New York, London, and Tampa, and now in San Francisco, MarcoPolo has put its focus on serving a global audience by partnering with leading educational and media groups throughout the world including Procare (US), Kids & Co. (Canada), Bright Horizons (US), New Oriental (China), SKY (UK), Times Group (India), and many others. MarcoPolo is a venture-backed startup with strategic investors New Oriental Education and Technology Group (NYSE: EDU) and Boat Rocker Media of Canada (CA: BRMI).
About the Role
We’re seeking a Lead Software Engineer to help us build the next major brand in early childhood education and media.
As one of the first hires in our San Francisco office, you’ll partner closely with our Head of Product and Operations to set the foundation for our engineering and product culture, own decisions around our infrastructure and architecture, build and manage a team of engineers, and collaborate daily with our executive team on the vision and future of MarcoPolo.
Our stack consists of Node.js, Typescript, Angular, GraphQL, Elasticsearch, Nginx, GitLab CI/CD, Lambda, DynamoDB, and MySQL.
What You’ll Do
- Lead engineering strategy across MarcoPolo’s portfolio of products
- Full stack software development for our web app and backend
- Co-author our roadmap in collaboration with the founding team and product
- Make key decisions around scaling our infrastructure and team
- Own integration with third-party services and content distribution partners to support our partner growth pipeline
- Mentor a team of engineers to create a world-class experience in the early childhood education market
Your Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience building and shipping high availability production code with most of the tools used in our stack (and the ability and interest to quickly pick up what you’ve never used before)
- 2+ years experience mentoring or managing other engineers
- A product-minded, customer-focused approach to engineering
- A love for beautiful, delightful, and usable user experiences
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate technical concepts for non-technical audiences
- Passionate about education and building a new brand in children’s media
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Hybrid and flexible schedule (M, T, Th)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401K plan with matching
- 15 days of paid vacation
- Paid holidays and parental leave
- Family-friendly environment and culture that values work-life balance
- Access to learning and growth opportunities
- Team and company off-sites and retreats in fun locations
The base salary range for this full-time position is $140,000 to $200,000 USD + stock options. The actual compensation offered will depend on work experience, education, and skill level.
MarcoPolo Learning is headquartered in New York with offices in London and Florida. This position is for an early hire at our new San Francisco Bay Area location.
MarcoPolo Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
If this sounds like a perfect role for you send us your CV by applying through the link and someone from our People team will be in touch shortly.