Senior Engineering Manager
At Rossum we're seeking a seasoned Engineering Manager to lead our team of highly skilled software engineers who are responsible for Rossum’s extension ecosystem and professional services projects. Your mission? Lead and level up our software engineers to build an effective team and foster a high-performing environment that excels in technical prowess, focuses on outcomes and operates sustainably. You will also collaborate seamlessly with product, professional services, and other areas of the business and share your knowledge generously to elevate the management bar.
This is a great opportunity for Engineering managers who find the joy of wearing multiple hats – from being a strategic business driver to a hands-on mentor, shaping the way we deliver customer-focused solutions. If you're an expert engineering manager with a knack for Python-based cloud applications, with a knack for either delivering professional services or steering agile business-driven product development, we want to hear from you.
Ready to make a lasting impact in a mission-driven company? At Rossum, you will find a fast-paced environment and get surrounded by people excited to learn fast, take ownership and change the world through technology. Apply now to join us on our journey toward our vision of “a world that builds rather than types”!
As a leader:
- Enact a clear vision for the team, connect it with the big picture of Rossum’s vision of creating a world that “builds rather than types”, and inspire the team to ensure progress towards it.
- Align the team on clear goals and priorities, connected to the current business but also for innovation beyond.
- Lead by example in prioritization and focus on the most critical tasks, and share responsibilities with the team.
- Identify and address potential issues, threats, or weaknesses early on.
- Provide strategic guidance and mentorship to the engineering team.
As a business driver:
- Act as an assertive business-minded partner to the Go-To-Market and Product Management teams to maximize the team's long-term impact.
- Have an understanding of customer needs and always work for a win-win.
- Proactively design and execute systems to achieve efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability.
- Involve the team members in the team’s impact - don’t shield, empower.
As a team manager:
- Ensure the team is highly engaged, technically and culturally exceptional, and efficient in their work.
- Empower team members, delegate responsibility, enable risk taking, and build an environment of trust.
- Foster camaraderie within the team, build a “champion team” rather than “team of champions”.
As a mentor & coach:
- Draw from experience in managing world-class engineering teams to guide the growth of individual team members.
- Serve as a role model for desired characteristics, enabling the team to acquire them too.
- Have technical experience in Python and cloud technologies.
- Develop leaders who can operate independently and make their own decisions.
- Foster an environment of clear expectations and accountability.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Proven experience in managing teams of 10+ highly skilled engineers.
- A track record of building and maintaining high-performing teams. Including hiring, coaching, mentoring and training direct reports. Successful candidates have been already performing as Engineering Manager for, at least, another two companies in the past
- Experience in setting up cross-functional goals that create the biggest customer and business impact, and achieving them together with other teams
- Track record of measuring outcomes and quickly improving them through fast iteration and a culture of learning
- Strong background in software engineering.
- Experience in an early-stage SaaS company with a fast-paced, fast-evolving environment.
Extra points for:
- Experience within the AI space or with Deep-tech products with complex Professional Services and Integrations would be considered as a big plus.
Our Tech Stack:
Rossum is a highly tech-savvy product; therefore, experience or at least familiarity with the following stack is a significant advantage. This is what your team will be working with, and you will eventually touch all of it.
- Most of our services are written in Flask or FastAPI. We’re also utilizing AWS Lambdas, and internal framework where it makes sense
- For communication between components we are using RabbitMQ and REST APIs
- We’re mostly stateless, or we manage state in our platform. Where we need a database, we prefer PostgreSQL. For advanced functionality, we also operate a MongoDB cluster, and we like Redis too.
- Everything we run is deployed in Kubernetes clusters to ensure reliability and scalability. Currently, we use AWS in three regions, but we are mostly cloud agnostic.
- All configuration is persisted in Git and synchronized with all environments using GitOps tooling (flux). Terraform is our tool for managing infrastructure.
- Prometheus and Grafana are used for monitoring, EFK stack for logs.
- We use GitLab to host our repositories and run CI/CD pipelines.
What we offer:
On top of your salary you will enjoy the following benefits and perks:
- Stock options plan
- 5 weeks of vacation
- 5 sick days
- Flexible working hours, hybrid regime of work
- Extra two weeks for paternity leave
- Access to 1:1 coaching through Bravely
- High-end laptop & other necessary tech
- English & Czech language lessons on all levels
- Multisports card to access sports facilities at any of 2,700 places in Czechia.
Rossum (the name comes from Czech writer Karel Čapek’s play “Rossum’s Universal Robots”) is capable of extracting data (from documents) six times faster than the human rate. Last year alone it managed to save companies across a number of sectors over one billion keystrokes, the equivalent of 150 years of human labor. Today, the company automates document communication for customers on five continents and a client roster that includes Siemens, Bosch, Cushman & Wakefield, Veolia, and, here in the Czech Republic, Alza, Kofola, and Mattoni.
After tripling our revenue in 2020 and securing Eastern Europe’s largest-ever Series A funding of $100M in 2021 , we plan to further expand our market share and invest heavily across our Go-to-market teams & our research and development backbone.
Our product is number #1 in its category.
Rossum is an equal opportunity employer. At Rossum we believe human potential is the most powerful force for progress and success we aim for. Therefore we maintain a culture of belonging and treat people with respect and provide equal opportunities for hiring, employment, promotion, termination, compensation etc. Rossum does not discriminate against any job applicant or employee or protected veteran because of race, colour, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), physical or mental disability, age or genetic information.