Ratings Production Analyst
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2023
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera provides carbon data for genuine climate impact. Our mission is to incentivize investment in real climate action.
Purchasing credits through the carbon markets is one of the most established and scalable ways to channel finance from the private sector to effective climate solutions and work toward societal net zero. Unfortunately, the voluntary carbon markets have been plagued with mistrust and a lack of effectiveness since they’ve emerged – until Sylvera.
To help organizations ensure they're making the most effective investments, Sylvera builds software that independently and accurately automates the evaluation of carbon projects that capture, remove, or avoid emissions. With Sylvera's data and tools, businesses and governments can confidently invest in, benchmark, deliver, and report real climate impact.
Our team is made up of the leading minds in climate change from scientists to academics. We work in partnership with scientific organisations, universities, governments and think tanks to develop and test rigorous and holistic ratings methodologies, leveraging the latest technology. Founded in 2020, Sylvera has 150+ employees across the world with offices in London, New York and Belgrade. We’ve raised over $96million from leading VCs like Balderton Capital, Index Ventures and Insight Partners to date.
What's my impact? 👩💻👨💻
Having found an early product-market fit in a nascent, rapidly growing space, we’re now scaling our Rating Production team at pace. In this role, you will produce ratings that will influence which offsetting projects get funded and at what price - which has enormous environmental and financial consequences! These ratings sit at the core of Sylvera’s product, and providing a wide enough coverage of the voluntary carbon market is one of the core priorities for the company.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Learn the latest proprietary methodologies released by our Ratings Framework team
- Become a domain expert at the framework you’re assigned to, knowing all the intricacies of that methodology
- Work within a squad of exceptional talent, and collaborate to produce high-quality ratings that sit at the core of Sylvera’s product
- Pick up the skills and tools you need to succeed at your job - using a broad blend of qualitative and quantitative skills
- Write high-quality summaries of ratings, that enable our clients to understand the reasoning behind our ratings, and empower them to transact with confidence
- Helping in documentation and training of new Production Analysts
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Prior experience in one of the following: Renewable energy, Forestry, Nature-based solutions
- Ability to make judgement calls and assess the ratio of time required for additional research vs. material impact on the rating
- High quality verbal and written communication - you’ll be writing content that will influence huge decisions
- Excellent time-management skills, and ability to easily adapt to change
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and quickly ramp up to become a mentor for more junior levels
- We are looking for someone ready to consistently add value to team meetings and come up with challenging counter- points in order to drive improvement and help the team grow
Nice to have but not required
- Familiarity with basic scripting languages (Python, R, etc.)
- Background (academic or professional) in environmental legislation
- Experience working with GIS
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
Serbia (with access to an office in Belgrade if you wanted to come in)
Our Values 🙌
Own it: We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
Stay curious: Our business is built on transparency and debunking misperceptions.
Do what’s right - even when it’s hard: The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate with kindness: Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.