Head of Ratings
Posted on Friday, December 8, 2023
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera provides carbon data for genuine climate impact. Our mission is to incentivize investment in real climate action.
Purchasing credits through the carbon markets is one of the most established and scalable ways to channel finance from the private sector to effective climate solutions and work toward societal net zero. Unfortunately, the voluntary carbon markets have been plagued with mistrust and a lack of effectiveness since they’ve emerged – until Sylvera.
To help organizations ensure they're making the most effective investments, Sylvera builds software that independently and accurately automates the evaluation of carbon projects that capture, remove, or avoid emissions. With Sylvera's data and tools, businesses and governments can confidently invest in, benchmark, deliver, and report real climate impact.
Our team is made up of leading minds in climate change from scientists to policy, finance and carbon market experts. We work in partnership with scientific organisations, universities, governments and think tanks to develop and test rigorous and holistic ratings methodologies, leveraging the latest technology. Founded in 2020, Sylvera has 150+ employees across the world with offices in London, New York, Belgrade and Singapore. We’ve raised over $96million from leading VCs like Balderton Capital, Index Ventures and Insight Partners to date.
What will I be doing? 👩💻👨💻
Having found an early product-market fit in a nascent, rapidly growing space, we’re now scaling our Ratings Product at pace. We’re looking for a mission-driven leader to manage and coordinate Ratings development and delivery with a number of subteams, to ensure high quality Ratings are delivered on time and to spec. It’s a critical role at the heart of our business - you’ll coordinate with the leaders of a number of divisions on a daily basis and with leaders across Sylvera every week. You will report to the VP Ratings.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Coordinating multiple, concurrent Ratings processes across multiple teams to ensure delivery schedules are met
- Driving the scalability of our Ratings product in partnership with Sylvera’s Engineering teams
- Contributing towards developing and training of Carbon Project Analysts and instilling best and compliant Ratings practices
- Partnering with our Product Managers to innovate new insights driven by developments in Sylvera’s rigorous quantitative and qualitative economic, financial and political risk analysis frameworks to maximise value for our customers
- Leading Ratings Committee discussions, being ultimately accountable for the Ratings issued, and responsible for any subsequent communication with customers, market participants and journalists about Ratings or Sylvera’s analytical approach
- Collaborating with our Marketing Team to produce insightful sector research, demonstrating Sylvera’s expertise, analysis, and thought leadership in Voluntary Carbon Market trends
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a leadership role in financial services, financial data provider, rating agency, or other supplier of mission critical data - preferably in a data product / subscription based product environment centred around sustainability
- Has high data literacy and experience putting data at the heart of strategic decision making
- Has excellent communication skills, and demonstrable experience managing cross-functional and external stakeholder relationships
- Has results-oriented project and team management capabilities; able to lead and execute effectively with capacity to translate big ideas into action
- Fast learner, self-starter, intellectually curious, quantitative and ready to get up-to-speed in a complex and technical domain; a keen interest and awareness of the Voluntary Carbon Market and international and political affairs
- Be excited to help with the development and introduction of new products spearheading a customer focused approach
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- Private Health Insurance and Life Assurance
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
UK (with access to an office in London if you wanted to come in)
Our Values 🙌
Own it: We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
Stay curious: Our business is built on transparency and debunking misperceptions.
Do what’s right - even when it’s hard: The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate with kindness: Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.