Mid/Senior Data Engineer
TL;DR: We’re making our first Mid-level or Senior Data Engineer hire to help us unlock better data-informed decision-making. This one is for you if you’re interested in joining an early-stage data team in the generative AI space.
Who are we?
We are on a mission to make video easy for anyone…
Synthesia is the world’s #1 AI video generation platform. Well, it’s actually a video production studio — in a browser. As in, no cameras or film crews at all. You simply choose an avatar, enter your script in one of 120 languages, and your video is ready in minutes. In Synthesia, you can build personalized on-the-fly videos, give your chatbot a human face or run 24/7 weather channels in different languages, to name just a few of the possibilities 🎬.
We believe the future of media is synthetic, and we are on a mission to turn cameras into code and make everyone a creator.
Not sure what we’re talking about? Check out our brand video that explains what we’re doing at Synthesia in a way that anyone can understand what this AI video stuff is all about.
And yet we are just laying the groundwork for a whole new kind of media here. Imagine joining Uber, Airbnb or Stripe when these companies were just getting started.
That's how early we are.
Right now, we’re hiring our first Data Engineer. We’re looking for someone to turn engineering constraints into product insights, shape our nascent data culture, and enable product teams to utilize data to make better-informed decisions. If you’ve worked in multiple organizations and always thought there was a better way to work with data, this is your chance to make it happen.
As a Data Analytics Engineer, you’ll:
Own our data infrastructure and base models that connect various cloud data sources, enable teams to draw meaningful impact from their work, and develop a self-serve capability as our team matures.
You’ll have a broad responsibility across the data stack, working to bring the right data into Snowflake, writing transformation into dbt and acting as an expert to the rest of the organization to solve problems with data, or guide others to do so.
You’ll work across Engineering, Product, and the wider business to set the initial priorities for Data that will help unlock more data-informed decision making within our product.
We don’t want you to field every data request that the business comes up with, which would turn you into a bottleneck. We want you to build the analytics layer and own the modeling that allows each function to easily get to the answers they need, while helping with the hardest and most interesting questions.
Our product is instrumented with Segment, we use Fivetran to move production data into Snowflake. We use dbt Cloud to run our transformation pipeline. Our analytics tables are accessible through Metabase and our team also recently adopted Hex. We use Census to push data back into Hubspot (marketing), Salesforce (sales) and Userflow (in product messaging) and AWS is our primary cloud provider.
It’s early days for our data team and we’re still shaping it.
You should apply if you bring:
- Experience within an early-stage data function. You should have played a key role in helping the data team develop into a more mature function during your tenure.
- Minimum of 4+ years of experience working as an analytics engineer and/or data engineer.
- Experience across the data stack. You can demonstrate this by bringing experience with Segment, Fivetran, Snowflake, dbt, Census, Metabase or their equivalent tools.
- Significant experience in SQL and experience with Python.
- Experience architecting a data product.
- Experience defining data governance processes and managing scaling capabilities, to maintain coherence across a growing BI user base across numerous functions.
- Effective communication skills that enable you to work across an organization to gather requirements, build consensus and evangelize the use of data.
- Experience turning data into business value.
- A product mindset and understand what insights can inflect a product trajectory.
At Synthesia we expect everyone to:
- Be an owner.
- Focus on outcomes over Inputs and Plans.
- Make the journey fun
- Default to simple.
You can read more about this in this public Notion page: https://synthesia.notion.site/How-we-work-at-Synthesia-f794caa72f8446efb6be22b551ce0fa2
You can expect in return...
💸 A competitive salary + stock options in our fast growing Series C start-up.
📍 A remote-first environment. You’ll also have the options to work from one of our offices in London, Copenhagen, or Munich if you choose. We start our day at 8am-10am GMT+1 so you need to be based in an EMEA timezone.
🏝 25 days of annual leave + public holidays in the country where you are based.
🥳 Regular socials and company retreats.
🤩 4 weeks paid sabbatical after 4 years at the company + $10,000 USD.
👉 A generous referral scheme.
💻 A brand new computer of your choice and the equipment you need to get your work done (if that still counts as a benefit in 2023 🤔)
🚀 A huge opportunity for career growth as you’ll help shape a market-defining product.
- Other country-specific benefits based on the country you are hired in.