Lead Product Engineer (Backend Focus)
Software Engineering, Product
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
ABOUT TREECARD 🌳
Make a Real Impact 🌍
Here at Treecard, We’re harnessing the power of the people to help solve climate change by democratizing the ability to live sustainably. We’re the kind of green that doesn’t wash off, and our customers have already planted over 200 thousand trees just by using their Treecard.
We’re striving to build the largest and most engaged eco-focused community and a worldwide organization people can trust. We need people who can’t wait to jump in and help scale our impact together.
Check out our first product, Treecard: a real wooden debit card that plants free trees as you spend.
Do the best work of your life 🚀
As a mission-driven startup entering a hyper-growth stage, Treecard not only offers an environment for huge personal growth but an opportunity to leave a legacy we can be proud of.
We’re powered by Ecosia, the search engine that has planted over 130M trees to date and has over 30M monthly active customers. We've also raised $26M (Series A) to date and have a growing user base, with 40% of all sign-ups being referred by a friend or family. We are backed by EQT, Worldfund, and Seedcamp— the original investors of Transferwise and Revolut.
We’re set up for success, racing forward, and swinging beyond the fences. We are here to do the best work of our lives, and together, we hope you are too. Come help make sustainable living accessible for everyone.
ABOUT THE ROLE 🤩
We’re looking for a brilliant lead engineer to help build Treecard, the app that plants trees as you spend and walk!
We know that Lead titles are different between companies. At Treecard, a lead is a very much hands on role. You should expect to spend the majority of your time to be focused on product delivery. Outside of this, some of your responsibilities would include:
- Motivating and leveling up your team through mentorship and regular 1:1s
- Shaping technical strategy to ensure our backend keeps up with our growth
In your day to day role you will help to shape all elements of product delivery, not the just the technical parts. Delivery is a team sport, and we encourage everyone at Treecard to share their ideas from product ideation to new ways of working.
Your Day to Day 👐
You’ll be part of the team responsible for Treecard’s backend systems powering our core experiences. Everything from Unity game state management APIs to payment processing, you’ll be tasked with delivering and maintaining features with a focus on delivering value quickly.
As one of the earliest members of our team, you will have a huge amount of responsibility over the product and company! We have a monolith written in Go that has served us well but as we start building new products and services we’re evaluating a more ‘full stack’ approach. Over the coming months we’ll likely start building out a Typescript based stack which you’ll be the driving force behind.
To get a taste of the kind of work you’ll be doing at Treecard, here are some highlights of what we’ve shipped in the last 12 months:
- New in-app flows to send Gifts to friends (Gift notification, reminder and fulfilment systems)
- Launched ‘Spend’ - get rewarded for making climate positive purchases by connecting your existing bank account (Plaid + Stripe integration for account information & payment processing)
- Rebuilt our ‘Tree Valley’ - a tree planting game core to our app experience written in Unity (New state management APIs built for handling thousands of user trees)
Our team is fully remote and this role is based in the US, UK, EU or LATAM!
Sound like you? 🍃
- Interest in strongly-typed languages (Go, Java, C, Scala, etc.), or are interested in learning -- Experience with React Native and/or Typescript would be advantageous but not essential
- This role would be suitable for someone who has experience across multiple positions as a senior or lead engineer
- Your product minded and not afraid to make suggestions
- Previous startup experience is a strong plus, even better if you’ve lead teams
- You’re watching the climate crisis unfold with real concern and looking for an opportunity to dive in and make a difference
Our goal is to become the go-to super-app for sustainable living, and as a critical member of our team, you will play a huge role in achieving that mission. From developing minimum viable products to creating fully-featured integrations with new vendors, you will be at the forefront of our exciting journey.
HOW WE SUPPORT YOU 🙌🏝
100% Coverage for medical insurance (including dependents) & dental/vision plans
401(k) plan (US) and Pension plan (UK)
Unlimited Time Off Flexible Hours and Locations (100% Remote)
Flexible Parental Leave
Remote Workstation Stipend
Annual $1,000 Wellness & Development Stipend
Regular team retreats to connect with eachother & nature!
See more open positions at TreeCard
Something looks off?