Senior Investment Manager (Venture Debt Background)
A fully remote role based in the USA
Role Overview 🚀
Are you a highly experienced investment professional with a proven track record of evaluating and managing complex investments in fast-moving digital companies? Are you looking for an opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the world of start-ups? If so, we at Uncapped would like to invite you to apply for the role of Senior Investment Manager in our Risk team.
At Uncapped, we invest in growing businesses and ambitious founders. As a Senior Investment Manager, you will engage with a diverse group of founders on a daily basis to help them secure the financing they need to grow their businesses. You will report to the Director of Investments (DOI) and deputise on their behalf in their absence. You will utilise your expertise to develop a deeper understanding of the geographies, sectors, business models and use cases that we serve.
You will take accountability for the underwriting and credit performance of our largest and most complex applicants through their lifecycle and support the Junior Investment Associates with expertise and guidance on smaller-sized deals.
You will take ownership of our underwriting models and drive continuous improvements through process and model improvements.
In addition to analysing financial statements and business plans, you will also have a keen eye for risks from different sources such as business models, and macro and sectoral trends. You will act as the gatekeeper for our company and help us make safe and sound decisions.
By taking on this role, you will help fund thousands of growing businesses that are the lifeblood of the global economy and Uncapped's future success.
Founded in 2019, Uncapped is the fastest, most affordable way for growing online businesses to fund marketing and inventory. We provide business advances of between £50k and £10m without credit checks, personal guarantees, warrants, equity, or compounding interest -- and make money by charging a low flat fee that is paid back from future sales revenue. Uncapped has raised $120 million from investors including Lakestar, Mouro Capital, Global Founders Capital, White Star Capital, Seedcamp, and All Iron Ventures.
What you will do ✍️
- Evaluate large and complex investment opportunities, make recommendations on the size, length and structure of capital advances to the Credit Committee
- Meet founders and their management teams during the underwriting process to understand their business model and assess their needs and their risk profile
- Own underwriting models and be accountable for their performance
- Lead the monthly large loan monitoring process to identify any risks to repayment
- Support the Director of Investments in improving our underwriting capabilities through continuous process improvements
- Stand in for the Director of Investments in their absence
- Act as a coach to junior analysts, helping them with their more complex cases, and providing continuous feedback to improve their knowledge and capability
- Help create new products and work with commercial and technology teams to bring ideas to life
Who you are 👀
- 6+ years of experience, with a significant portion focussed on making large investment decisions(£1m+), preferably within the venture capital / venture debt / start-up financing ecosystem
- Strong educational background in finance, preferably holding an accounting/finance degree or an MBA
- Highly analytical, possessing expert-level experience and expertise in interpreting complex financial accounts / business data for underwriting purposes
- Confident communicator who can effectively interview founders and their CFOs to understand their business and financial performance, and articulate our decisions and rationale back to them
- Strong knowledge of sectors we operate in - you should intricately understand e-commerce / online / SaaS business models
- Commercial mindset - ability to find a deal while protecting the business
- Organised, flexible and focused, with the ability to context switch
- Hawk-eye level attention to detail, ability to zoom in and spot what others may miss
- Entrepreneurial mindset - you should constantly look to make the most of available opportunities, be decisive, overcome quickly to learn from setbacks
- Collaborative mindset, not afraid to over communicate in a remote environment
What we offer 🎁
At Uncapped, our people make us successful. We are a startup with big goals and we work hard, so we want to give everyone the benefits they really want. We’re continually adding to this list as new people join -- here are some of the things you can expect:
- A competitive compensation plan
- Flexible working: Remote-first processes for ultimate flexibility
- Unlimited time off to relax and see the world
- A personal growth fund that helps you to become your best
- Weekly recognition and awards that celebrate all the wins, both big and small
- Annual retreat abroad to hang out with your team on a paid staff trip
- A workspace just for you, with £350/€400 to optimise your home office
- An enhanced family leave package
We can only consider applications from candidates who are eligible to work in the USA without requiring visa sponsorship.