Head of Legal
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2023
About the company
WealthKernel (WK) is a VC-backed, award-winning FinTech company specialising in the Wealth Management industry. Our mission is to make financial services better and more accessible for everyday people. As an API-first technology company, we aim to become the AWS of savings, investment, and pension infrastructure. We are proud to announce that we were recently awarded the Startup Programme - FinTech prize at the CogX Awards 2023.
About the job
We are looking for an enthusiastic, hard working individual to fill this vital/integral position. The role will work closely with the founder and his senior management team. It is a very exciting opportunity to join a fast paced startup with huge potential. The successful candidate will be responsible for building out a legal function and putting in appropriate frameworks and processes to help the business reach its commercial objectives whilst mitigating risks and ensuring they adhere to relevant laws and regulations. This is a generalist role which involves commercial contracts, regulatory law, corporate law and corporate governance. As an FCA authorised company, in-depth regulatory experience and a solid foundation in compliance are imperative. A background in wealth management, wealthtech, or the SaaS sector is highly desirable.
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to senior management on various topics, including partnerships, international ventures, and corporate finance.
- Collaborate closely with senior management to formulate defence strategies and minimise legal risks.
- Develop, implement, and monitor internal governance policies; ensure compliance across the organisation.
- Conduct thorough research to evaluate risks associated with business decisions and operations.
- Oversee and manage all contractual relationships, ensuring that the company's legal rights are protected.
- Draft, review, and finalise agreements and commercial contracts with new clients.
- Offer guidance on copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property matters related to our offerings.
- Handle complex legal matters involving multiple stakeholders.
- Decode and simplify legal jargon, making it understandable for all members within the organisation.
- Maintain the highest standards of integrity and professionalism in all dealings.
- Stay updated with any changes in legislation and regulatory requirements that might affect the company.
- Qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales with 7-10 years post-qualification experience in the UK.
- Proven track record in drafting and negotiating technology-focused commercial contracts.
- Be familiar with the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR, and be able to advise on data protection issues.
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to advise stakeholders confidently and succinctly.
- Experienced in the UK and EU Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing regulations.
- Prior experience in the fintech, regulatory, payments, or Financial Services sector in the UK is a must.
- Experience in preparing and providing regulatory analysis on proposed new products and features.
- Experience in a SaaS company or another fast-paced, dynamic environment will be an added advantage.
- Capability to work both autonomously and as part of a team.
- Meticulous attention to detail and a methodical approach to tasks.
- Innate ability to drive tasks to completion and take charge of situations.
- Experience working with MiFID II and EMIR.
- Prior experience working in fintech in Europe.
- We believe in transparency and empowering people
- We want you to challenge us and also to accept being challenged
- We want you to learn from your mistakes. We want you to propose and try new things
- We believe in results. We don’t micromanage. We trust you.
- You will have the opportunity to grow and develop your skills in new areas while working in an open, creative, and collaborative environment.
- You will work hands-on with experienced professionals who will always be one click away from you if you need their help
- Working in a multicultural environment
- A positive and collaborative working culture
- Competitive pay package
- 22 days of holidays (plus bank holidays)
- Open to remote work
- Company team retreats
If you have the confidence, energy, and passion to take on this exciting role, please get in touch!