Senior Automation Engineer
Who we are ⚡
Zinc builds automated reference and background checking tools for forward-thinking companies that really care about candidate experience. Founded in 2017, Zinc has a unique approach to background checking, that's redefining industry standards. We're an early-stage startup going through rapid growth. Zinc’s founding team have spent years in recruitment, talent, and HRTech. We saw a field plagued with inefficiency, prejudice and a lack of transparency. We first sought to solve the burden of referencing, then sought to tackle the broader category of background checking.
Read more about our story here: zincwork.com/mission
We believe in transparency for candidates and true respect for privacy in background checking. We believe in a fairer, more transparent process. One which is quick, easy, and productive for every party. A process enabling candidates to own their data, and companies to access the unbiased insights they need. We're proud to be helping some of the most iconic employer brands in the UK hire. Read what our customers say about Zinc: zincwork.com/customers
We're a culture first company, and enjoy an active calendar of both company and team organised events! Making the most of our London location we have regular company socials which usually involve dinner, an activity (darts, shuffleboard, bowling, etc) and drinks. We have a team bouldering club 🧗, a poker club ♠️, a slow cooker society 🍲, running club (aka Zinc Zoomers!) 🏃 and regular board games!
The big event in the Zinc calendar for team bonding is our annual retreat ✈️: in 2022 we went to Tuscany, Italy 🇮🇹 and for 2023 we're off to Bergerac in France 🇫🇷 we've got seats on the plane saved for our new joiners!
Zinc is a company built on transparency, empowerment and data ownership.
We recently redefined our company values: Life at Zinc is: Focused, Empowered and Trusted.
We're looking for 👀
We're looking for a Senior Automation Engineer to join our engineering team, working on the way we manage testing our deployments. This is a new-to-Zinc role so we need someone who has experience of both setting processes up and running them hands-on afterwards. We're currently quite manual in our testing processes: this needs to change as we scale! The team are great with engaging and we periodically run "bug catching" competitions but this approach isn't sustainable and the time is right to create better structure and automations to scale with speed. We need someone who has experience of how different teams work, who has a desire to consolidate that knowledge and take ownership of the final end product.
Zinc values autonomy; you will have a lot of opportunities to influence an industry-changing product.
We currently meet in our London office twice a week, some face to face time is our preference.
Your day to day 🗓
- Test functionality of new releases
- Write unit, integration, and E2E tests
- Creating automated testing processes, and improve existing manual tests
- Create bug classification processes
- Actively contribute to our Engineering Guidelines
- 9:15 stand-up calls and 15:30 team tea breaks.
Your DNA 🧬
- Understanding the software development lifecycle
- Experience working with Cypress
- Experience setting up testing processes
- A good communicator - your documentation provides context, is clear, and up-to-date
- You care about the end-users - have empathy to customers' needs, and be able to spot opportunities to improve user experience
- Understanding that sometimes, done is better than perfect
- You have curiosity and initiative
- Take ownership - you are proactive in updating stakeholders on your progress, rather than reactively responding to their queries
Nice to Haves 🧁
- Hands-on experience testing with external systems
- Experience testing third party APIs
Good to know: Our stack 🥞
- Backend: Express.js, MongoDB, Typescript
- Deployment: CircleCI
- Infrastructure: DigitalOcean, Ubuntu, Cloudflare
- Testing: Cypress and Jest
What we offer 🍉
Zinc offers a chance to work on a product that brings a fresh perspective on data ownership in hiring
- Hybrid working (2 days per week in London)
- Shares for real part ownership in the business
- Regular team socials
- 24 days holiday + your birthday off (+ bank holidays)
- Annual retreat: this year we're going to France! 🇫🇷
- Access to MoreHappi - unlimited free coaching for your work and personal goals!
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, & Adoption Leave
- Apple laptop and latest tech gear for your home workstation
- £1200 annual benefits allowance
- Early finish Fridays
- A high level of autonomy
Something looks off?