Head of Engineering
Gaia's mission begins with the world’s first IVF insurance product that predicts fertility outcomes and insures against the risk of failure, a major moment for modernising the family planning process. Underpinning our product is a proprietary predictive technology that adds a layer of certainty to an expensive, complicated, desperate, opaque but resolutely hopeful space.
We have raised $30million in funding to date, our A round at the end of 2021 was led by Atomico (read why here). We are FCA regulated, and trade on the Lloyd's of London market as a cover holder of Beazley.
Everyone who wants a family should have the chance to try. For the 1 in 6 families that struggle to conceive, fertility treatments are an option but they are expensive. We created the world’s first IVF insurance allowing people who wish to be parents to pursue treatment with increased financial flexibility. Because the difference between having a child or not should not be how rich you are.
As Head of Engineering, you will lead and develop our core engineering team in London to execute Gaia’s technical strategy.
We are building a product at the intersection of finance and healthcare; in service of an industry that is complex, archaic, and significantly broken. As Head of Engineering you will be at the forefront of our technical vision and execution, leading an early-stage team of engineers to develop, implement, and refine our financial products and services for our members. As the ideal candidate you are a strategic thinker, have experience building high-performance teams at pace in an early-stage start-up environment.
This is a unique opportunity to help build technology that transforms the lives of our members, by giving them the opportunity to try for a family. You will be a part of the leadership team and report directly to the CEO and founder.
- Own the creation and execution of the Gaia technical strategy
- Hire, onboard, and develop top-tier engineering talent
- Be a core part of the leadership team contributing to shaping and achieving the company’s objectives
- Work closely with the CEO and product leadership to give input and develop the Gaia product strategy
- Ensure the technical robustness, scalability, and security of the solutions developed
- Ensure that the engineering department is effectively and consistently achieving its stated objectives
- Establish and refine engineering process: going from idea to requirements, tasks, testing and deploying them in the real world - effectively communicating progress and blockers
- Work with Talent to ensure that the engineering team is appropriately resourced and structured to meet Gaia’s goals
- Mentor, manage and coach engineers at Gaia to create a high performing culture
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and innovation, ensuring that the engineering team is always exploring new technologies and methodologies
You’ll be a great candidate for this role if:
- You’ve led a high performance engineering team from a small team to a large department (10 to ~50)
- You have experience hiring, onboarding, and developing excellent engineers - this is core to the job
- You’re comfortable managing/working with a team in a hybrid environment
- You have previously delivered in a complex early-stage start-up environment, ideally in a senior leadership role
- Your background as an engineer makes you credible to your reports
- You have a proven track record in overseeing the development and delivery of high-quality software and services
- You take full accountability for achieving company objectives and inspire your team to deliver
- You make tough decisions, leveraging both data and intuition
- You plan ambitiously and look for ways to exceed expectations
- You have strong outcome-orientation and delivery-focus, while keeping an eye on long-term priorities and making reasonable decisions on when to prioritise speed of delivery over longer term goals.
- Contribution to fertility treatment for you and your partner
- 25 days holiday (excl. bank holidays)
- Private Healthcare (Vitality)
- £1,000 annual Personal Development Budget
- Workplace Nursery Benefit